Showing 101 to 150 of 266 records.
The Stevens Screw Company Ltd of Wolverhampton started manufacturing motor cycles under the A J Stevens (AJS) name in 1909. In 1931 financial difficulties led to a takeover by Matchless and production moved to London. From 1937 the parent company traded as Associated Motor Cycles Ltd.
Introduced in 1945, the Model 16M was the AJS version of the Matchless G3L; 80,000 of the latter were built for military service during World War Two. The virtually identical models are distinguishable by the position of the magneto: in front of the cylinder on the AJS and behind on the Matchless. The frame was a conventional rigid design combined with ‘Teledraulic’ forks first seen on the G3L in 1941. It lacks any chrome fittings, a typical feature of the post war austerity period.
This particular motor cycle was first registered in February 1946 and remained in the ownership of the same family from May 1947 until 2010. It was in daily use up to 1966.
|Output||16bhp at 5600rpm|
|Manufacturer||AJS Motor Cycles Ltd|
Site by Surface Impression