What's New

Donation of the Percy Lambert Plaque 

Andrea Bishop of the National Motor Museum presents the plaque to Allan Winn at Brooklands Museum

A plaque commemorating Percy Lambert’s achievement of being the first man to drive 100 miles in one hour has gone on permanent display at Brooklands Museum, after being donated by the National Motor Museum Trust.

Lambert’s record breaking distance was achieved at Brooklands on the 15th February 1913. Driving in a streamlined Talbot belonging to the Earl of Shrewsbury, Lambert broke the record by driving 103.76 miles within the hour. To commemorate the occasion, a brass plaque was placed on the wall of the Clubhouse where it remained until the track closed. Tragically, the same year, on the 31st October 1913, Lambert was fatally injured trying to improve on his own record and was pronounced dead on arrival at Weybridge Cottage Hospital.

Percy Lambert replica silks on display at Brooklands Museum

When the Clubhouse was being cleared out after World War II the plaque was discarded and rescued by the Brooklands racing motorcyclist, Charles Mortimer. Recognising its historic significance, he later donated it to The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu. The plaque was in turn loaned by the National Motor Museum Trust to the newly founded Brooklands Museum in the 1980s for inclusion in a display on Percy Lambert.

Now, in the centenary year of not just Lambert’s great achievement, but of his death too, The National Motor Museum Trust has kindly donated the plaque to Brooklands Museum for permanent display, together with replicas of his silk racing jacket and cap.

 

Site by Surface Impression