The Austin A40 appeared in 1948, replacing pre-war models such as the Austin Eight, Ten and Twelve. Available as either the four-door Devon or the short-lived two-door Dorset, the A40 retained a separate chassis and incorporated independent front suspension. Styling showed a distinct American influence. The A40 became the Somerset in February 1952 and was restyled to match the A70 Hereford and A30. Hydraulic brakes and a column gear change were now standard, previously only available on the Devon in 1951.
A total of 166,063 A40 Somerset saloons were built between 1952 and 1954, along with 7,243 drophead coupes. By 1954 the Somerset looked dated and a completely new A40, the Cambridge, with unitary chassis was introduced. This shared the B-series engine with the rival Morris Oxford, following the merger of Austin and Morris to form the British Motor Corporation (BMC) in 1952.
Sponsor this vehicle
An altogether unexpectedly high performance … The Austin Motor Company have managed to follow up one best seller with another
The Motor 9 April 1952